20 October 2011

The story of Al-Jassasah and the dajjal

‘Aamir ibn Sharaaheel Al-Sha’bi Sha’b Hamdaan narrated that he asked Faatimah bint Qays, The sister of Al-Dahhaak ibn Qays, who was the earliest Muhaajir women, “Relate to me a Hadeeth that you heard directly from the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him)”
She said,”If you wish, I will do that. “He said to her, “Yes, tell me.” She said:
 “I heard the voice of the caller of the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) saying: Al-salaatu jaami’ah (prayer is about to begin), so I went out to the mosque and I prayed with the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him). I was in the women’s row that was closest to the people. When the Messenger of Allah had finished his prayer, he sat on the Minbar and he was smiling. He said, “Let each person stay in the place where he just prayed, “Then he said, “Do you know why I called you together?” They said, “Allah and his Messenger (Peace be upon him) know best.” He said, “By Allah, I did not call you together for something good or for some alarming news. I have called you together because Tameem Al-Daari was a Christian and he came and swore allegiance and became Muslim, and told me something which agrees with what I was telling you about the Dajjal (false messiah).
He told me that he sailed in a ship with thirty men of Lakhm and Judhaam and they were tossed by the waves of the sea for a month. They came to an island at sunset. They sat in a small rowing-boat and landed on that island. They were met by a beast with a great deal of hair and they could not distinguish his face from his back because he was so hairy. They said: “woe to you, what are you?” It said Al-Jassaasah. “They said: “what is Al-Jassasah?” It said, “people, go to this man in the monastery for he is keen to know about you,”’’
He the narrator said, when it named a man for us we were afraid of it lest it be a devil. Then we set off, rushing , until we came to that monastery, where we found the hugest man we has ever seen, bound strongly in chains with his hands tied to his neck and his legs bound from the knees to the ankles with iron shackles. We said, “woe to you, who are you?” He said , “you will soon find out about me ; tell  me who you are,” They said , “we are people from Arabia who embarked on a ship, but the sea became wild and the waves tossed us about for one month, then it brought us to this island of yours. We took to the rowing boats and landed on this island. We were met by a beast with a great deal of hair and we could not tell his front from his back. We said: “woe to you, what are you?” It said I am Al-Jassaasah. “We said: “what is Al-Jassasah?” It said, “, go to this man in the monastery for he is keen to know about you,”’
So we came rushing to you and we fled from it because we could not be sure that it was a devil.
He (that chained person) said: “Tell me about the date palm trees of Baysaan(1). We said “What do you want to know about them?” He said, “I am asking you whether those trees bear fruits” We said “Yes”. He said, “Soon they will not bear fruit.” He said, “Tell me about the Tiberias(2)” we said, “ what do you want to know about it” He said “Is there water in it” They said, “There is a great deal of water in it.” He said, “Soon it will dry up.” Then he said, “Tell me about the spring of Zughar(3). We said “What do you want to know about it?” He said, “Is there water in the spring and does the people grow crops with the water of the spring?” We said to him, “Yes there is plenty of water in it and the people grow crops with its water” he said, “Tell me about the Prophet of the unlettered; what has he done?” we said “He has left Makkah and has settled in Yathrib (Madeenah).” He said, “Do the Arabs fight against him” We said “Yes” He said “How did he deal with them” We told him that he had prevailed over the Arabs in his vicinity and they shown obedience to him. He said to us” Has it really happened” We said “Yes”
He said “if it is so that is better for them that they show obedience to him. Now I will tell you about myself. I am the dajjal and soon I will be given permission to emerge., So I will come out an travel in the land, and will not spare any town but I will stay for forty nights, except Makkah and Taybah (Madeenah). They are both forbidden to me, Every time I try to enter one of them, I will be met by an angel with a sword in his hand, who will bar my way, and on every route there will be angels guarding it”.
She said, Then the Messenger (Peace be upon him) struck the Minbar with his staff and said “This is Taybah, this is Taybah, this is Taybah, meaning Madeenah. Did I not tell you this before?” The people said “Yes” (The prophet (Peace be upon him) “I liked the story of Tameem because it agrees with what I used to tell you about him and about Makkah and Madeenah. But he is in Syrian Sea (Mediterranean) or the Yemeni Sea (Arabian Sea). No rather he is in the east, he is in the east, he is in the east. “ And he pointed towards the east with his hand. She said, “I memorized this from the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him). “

(1)     Baysaan: a city on the western side of the Jordon basin,south west of Tiberias.
(2)     Tiberias: Between Jordon and Palestine.
(3)     Zughar: A village in Syria on the banks of the Dead Sea (the sea of Zughar), Ibn Al-Atheer said: Zughar is a spring in Syria, in the area of Al-Balqa’. 


Souce: The end of the world by Dr. Muhammad al-'Areefi

No comments: