15 November 2011

From the wisdom of Luqman

"Luqman was an Ethiopian slave who worked as a carpenter. One day, his master ordered him to slaughter a goat and bring him the most pleasant and delicious two parts thereof. Luqman did so and brought him the tongue and heart. The master asked: Did not you find anything more pleasant than these? Luqman said: No! After a while, the master ordered him to slaughter a goat and to throw the most malignant two parts thereof. Luqman slaughtered the goat and threw the tongue and heart. The master exclaimed and said: I ordered you to bring me the most delicious parts thereof and you brought me the tongue and heart, and I ordered you to throwaway the most malignant parts thereof and you threw the tongue and heart, how can this be? Luqman said: Nothing can be more pleasing than these if they were good, and nothing can be more malicious than these if they were malignant." (1)

Luqman said to his son, “Wisdom is in doing ten things – enlivening the dead heart, sitting with the needy, staying away from the gathering of kings, honoring the humble, freeing the slave, being hospitable to the stranger, enriching the poor, and venerating the people of honor. These things are better than wealth, are a protection from fear, a weapon in war, a merchandise at the time of commerce, an intercessor when afflicted with terror, an indication that conviction has entered the heart, and a covering when no clothes can cover one [on the Day of Judgment].” (2)

Luqman al-Hakim, peace be upon him, said to his son, “O my son! Man is composed of three thirds – a third for Allah, a third for himself and a third for the worms. The third that is for Allah is his soul; the third that is for himself is his actions, and the third that is for the worms is his body.” (3)

I was told by my father after ‘Amr Ibn ‘Uthman after Damurah Ibn Hafs Ibn ‘Umar as saying: “Luqman placed a bag of mustards beside him and started to advise his son, giving him with every piece of advice a mustard till it all ran out. He said: O my son! I gave you advice that if a mountain was given, it would split” (4)

A man went to Luqman, the wise and asked: Are you Luqman? Are you the slave of Bani Nuhas? He said: “Yes!” The man said: You are the black shepherd! He said: As for my skin being black, it is apparent, so what is it about me that amaze you? The man said: “That people come to visit you in throngs! That people crowd at your door, and they are pleased with your speech”.  Luqman said: “0h my cousin! If you do as I say , then you will be the same, He said “And what is that” Luqman said “ Lowering my gaze, holding my tongue, honoring my guests, preserving the rights of my neighbor, and refraining from which that does not concern me, that has made me become as you see me now”.(5)

Narrated Al-A'mash after Mujahid: Luqman was a black huge slave, thicklipped, and crackedfooted. 'Umar Ibn Qais said: "Luqman was a black slave, thick-lipped and cracked-footed. It happened while he was preaching some people, a man came to him and said: aren't you the one who used to look after the sheep with me at such and such place? Luqman said: yes, I am! The man said: then, what made you of that position? Luqman said: telling the truth and keeping silent regarding what does not concern me." (6)

Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Set apart with evil and it will set apart with you, for evil begets nothing but evil."(7)

Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! I have never regretted because of keeping silent. If words are silver, silence is golden”(8)

Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Do not wish for befriending a fool that he may think you approve his foolishness. And, do not take the wise man's rage easily that he may abstain from you."(9)

Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Take Allah's Obedience as your trade, and you will gain profits without having any merchandises."(10)

1-      Stories Of The Quran by Ibn Katheer
2-      Preparing for the day of judgment by Imaam Ibn Hajar Al-‘Asqalani
3-      Preparing for the day of judgment by Imaam Ibn Hajar Al-‘Asqalani
4-      Stories Of The Quran by Ibn Katheer
5-      Gems and jewels  by Abdul Malik Mujahid
6-      Stories Of The Quran by Ibn Katheer
7-      Stories Of The Quran by Ibn Katheer
8-      Stories Of The Quran by Ibn Katheer
9-      Stories Of The Quran by Ibn Katheer
10-   Stories Of The Quran by Ibn Katheer

No comments: