18 December 2010

Some sayings of Al-Fudayl Ibn `Iyad

- Al-Fudayl b. ‘Iyad used to be a highwayman, between Abyûrd and Sarkhas. He was in love with a girl, and the cause of his repentance was that he was once climbing a wall to meet her when he heard someone reciting the following verses:

Has not the time come for those who believe, that their hearts should be humbled and submitted (to Allah)…? [Al-Hadîd: 16]

When he heard this, Al-Fudayl said, “Indeed my Lord, it is time.” So he left, and seeking a night’s shelter he found himself at some ruins, and there he saw some travelers. Some of them said, “We should move on.” Others said, “Wait until morning, Al-Fudayl operates in this area, he will rob us.” Al-Fudayl said, “So I thought and said to myself: I spend the night in sin and there are some Muslims here who fear me; I think that Allah only led me to them so that I might take lesson and stop what I am doing. O Allah! I have repented, and as part of my tawbah I will live next to Al-Bayt Al-Harâm (in Makkah).” [1]

- A man said to Al-Fudayl Ibn `Iyad: "How are you?" And he replied: "If you are asking about the life of this world, it has diverted us from the right path and sent us in many directions." [2]

- Al-Fudayl Ibn `Iyad said, "If Iblees conquers the son of Adam with one of the three (things) he says I will not seek anything else from himself (1) Being fond of himself(2) Deeming his deeds to be plentiful(3) Forgetfulness of his sins. [3]

- It is reported that Bashr b. Al-Hârith said, “I was once with Al-Fudayl b. ‘Iyad in Makkah. He sat with us until midnight, then went and did tawâf until the morning. I said, ‘Abû ‘Alî! Won’t you sleep?’ He replied, ‘Woe to you! And is there anyone who hears a mention of the Fire and then feels like sleeping!?’”[4]

- It is reported on the authority of Ibrâhîm b. Al-Ash’ath that he said, “I asked Al-Fudayl b. ‘Iyad – Allâh have mercy on him – about patience (al-sabr) in the face of adversity and he said, ‘It is to not broadcast it.’ I asked him about asceticism (al-zuhd) and he said, ‘Al-zuhd is to be content with what you have, and that is what it means to be rich.’ I asked him about prudence (al-wara’) and he said, ‘It is to stay away from what is forbidden.’ And I asked him about humbleness (al-tawâdu’) and he said, ‘It is when you submit to the truth and comply no matter who you hear it from; even if it was from the most ignorant of people, you would be required to accept it from him.’”[5]




Sources
[1] Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Al-Fudayl b.‘Ayyâd.
[2] The life of this world is a transient shade by Abdul Malik Al-Qasim
[3] From the characteristics of the Salaf by Ahmed Fareed
[4] Abû Bakr Al-Daynûrî, Al-Mujâlasah wa Jawâhir Al-‘Ilm, article 723
[5] Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jâmi’ Bayân Al-‘Ilm wa Fadlihi Vol. 1 p498

No comments: