01 December 2010

Huzaifah (RadhiAllah anhu) goes for spying.

Huzaifah (RadhiyAllah anhu) narattes:
"In the war of the Trench, we were facing a very big army of the enemy, comprising of non-believers from Mecca and other such groups. At the same time, the Jews of Banu Quraizah in Madinah were preparing to stab us in the back, and we apprehended their plundering our houses and families, for all of us were outside defending Madinah against the invaders. The Munafiqin started asking permission from the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) to go back to Madinah, on the pretext of their homes being unattended and open to the enemy. He permitted every one of them. During those days of trial, one night it was unusually very dark and windy, It was so dark that one could not see one's own hand, and the wind was blowing wildly. The Munafiqin were returning to their homes. We, three hundred strong, were sticking to our posts. The Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) approached every one and made enquiries about him. I had no arms to defend myself, nor clothes to resist the cold. I had only one small sheet, which belonged to my wife and was lent to me. I wrapped it round my loins and sat with my knees clinging to the ground. When the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) passed by me, he said, 'Who are you? I said, 'Huzaifah!' I could not stand up due to severe cold and I clung to the ground more tightly with shame. He said, 'Huzaifah, stand up and go to the enemy camp and bring us their news.' Of all the Sahabah, I was the most ill-equipped, both against the enemy and against the cold that night, but as soon as I got the order I stood up and left for the enemy camp. As I was going, the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) prayedf for me saying, '0 Allah! Protect him from all directions.' Immediately after his prayer, I was completely relieved of my fear and cold. I felt as if I were walking in a warm and peaceful atmosphere. The Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) warned me thus, 'Return immediately after observing what they are doing. Do not take any other step.' When I reached the enemy camp, I found a fire burning and people sitting round it. Each person warmed his hands before the fire and then rubbed them over his abdomen. The shouts of retreat were heard from all directions. Every one was shouting to the people of his clan to pack up and go back. The wind was causing the stones to fly and strike against their tents. The guy ropes of the tents were breaking and the animals were dying. I found Abu Sufyan, the Commander-in-Chief of the enemy forces, sitting near the fire warming himself. I thought of finishing him off. I had actually taken out an arrow from my quiver and placed it in my bow, when I remembered the directive of the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam). I put the arrow back into the quiver. While I was among them, they seemed to become aware of my presence. They shouted, 'There is a spy among us. Every one of us should catch the hand of the person next to him I immediately caught the hand of a person and shouted, 'Who are you? 'He said, you do not know me. I am so and so. 'I then returned to my camp. While I was on my way back, I met twenty horsemen with turbans on their heads. They said to me, 'Tell your master that Allah has dealt with his enemy and that he has nothing to worry about now.' When I reached my camp, I found the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) saying his Salaat with a small shawl around him. Whenever he faced a difficulty he immediately turned towards Salaat. When he had finished, I reported to him what I had seen when coming from the enemy camp. When I narrated how I escaped their 'search for the spy', I could see his beautiful teeth shining. He then asked me to lie down near his feet and put a corner of his shawl over my body. I lay down and pressed my breast against the soles of his feet."

*Extracted from the book "Stories of the sahaabah" Revised translation of the Urdu book Hikayaat-e-Sahaabah

No comments: