28 July 2010

How the adhaan was prescribed

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Zayd ibn ‘Abd Rabbihi said: “When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) decided to use a bell, he did so reluctantly because that was like what the Christians did. Then at night whilst I was sleeping, a man walked around me [in my dream], wearing two green garments and carrying a bell in his hand. I said to him, ‘O slave of Allaah, will you sell the bell?’ He said, ‘What will you do with it?’ I said, ‘I will call (the people) to prayer.’ He said, ‘Shall I not tell you of something better than that?’ I said, ‘What is it?’ He said, ‘Say: ‘Allaahu akbar…’ (to the end of the adhaan). The following morning I came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and told him what I had seen. He said, ‘It is a true dream, in sha Allah. Go out with Bilaal to the mosque and teach it to him, for he has a more melodious voice than you.’ I went out with Bilaal to the mosque, and I started teaching him the words and he was calling them out. ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab heard the voice from his house and came out dragging his lower garment and saying, ‘O Messenger of Allaah! By Allaah, I saw the same (dream) as him.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘To Allaah be praise.’”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 189; Abu Dawood, 499; Ibn Maajah, 706

This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by Ibn Khuzaymah, 1/189; Ibn Hibbaan, 4/572; al-Albaani in Tamaam al-Minnah, p. 145.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/21517/dream

No comments: