20 February 2011

Who was Dhul-Bijadain

Dhul-Bijadain was an orphan boy, whose uncle took care of him. But he was obsessed by the idea of following the Messenger (peace be upon him). Upon his decision to follow the Messenger, his was afflicted with a disease, so he waited for his uncle.

When he was cured, he lost patience so he told his uncle, "0 Uncle! I waited a long time hoping that you might embrace Islam but in vain." His uncle replied, "By Allah! If you embrace Islam, I shall deprive you of all that which I granted you." He (Dhul- Bijadain) said, "Just one look at Muhammad(peace be upon him) is preferable to me than all this worldly life, and everything therein."

When Dhul-Bijadain decided to follow the Messenger (peace be upon him), his uncle deprived him of everything even his clothes, so his mother gave him a piece of cloth. He cut it in two pieces, one of which he wrapped himself with, and the other he used as a garment.

When Jihad (fighting for the cause of Allah) was prescribed, he decided to join the believers, regardless of the long journey he would have to undertake.When he passed away, the Messenger (peace be upon him) descended to prepare his grave by himself, and he used to say, "0 Allah! I am satisfied with him, so I beg You to be satisfied with him." Upon that, Ibn Mas'ud (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "I wish I were him (he meant Dhul-Bijadain)."

Source: Al-Fawaid (P:70) by Imam ibn Al Qayyim

No comments: