02 March 2012

The strange woman

Dhul Noon Al-Misree said:

Once, while on a journey, I met a devout woman, from her saddened state it seemed like she had lost a child.

She asked me, “Where are you from?“

I said, “I am a stranger here.“

She exclaimed. “A stranger!? Is it possible to feel the woes of strangeness when one is with Allaah (swt)? He is the recourse and solace of the strangers and the Helper of the weak!“

At this I started to cry and she said, “Know that crying relieves the heart and is something to recourse to, the heart has not repressed something more deserving [of display] than sighs and moans.“

I said, “Teach me something!“

She replied, “Love your Lord and desire to meet Him, for one day He will show Himself to those who love Him and they will attain their hope of seeing Him.“

I then left her as I found her and went on my way.

[Aboo Nu'aym, 9/14107. Translated by Ustaadh Aboo Rumaysah]

No comments: