22 November 2012

Allah has given me a better offer


It was narrated that Ibn 'Abbas (RadiyAllah anhu) said: There was a drought at the time of Abu Bakr as-siddiq(RadiyAllah anhu). The people came to Abu Bakr and said: It has not rained and the earth is not bringing forth its produce and the people are suffering great hardship. Abu Bakr said: Go and be patient, for evening will not come before Allah the Most Generous grants you relief. It was not long before the workers of ‘Uthman(RadiyAllah anhu)  came from Syria, bringing him one hundred camels laden with wheat - or foodstuff. The people gathered at 'Uthman's door and knocked on the door.

 'Uthman (RadiyAllah anhu) came out to the crowd of people and said: What do you want? They said: It has not rained and the earth is not bringing forth its produce and the people are suffering great hardship, and we have heard that you have food; sell it to us so that we may give it to the poor Muslims. 

'Uthman(RadiyAllah anhu)  said: By all means, come in and buy. The merchants went in and saw the food in the house of 'Uthman. He said: 0 merchants, how much profits will you give me for that which I bought from Syria? They said: Twelve in return for ten. 'Uthman (RadiyAllah anhu) said: I have had a better offer. They said: Fifteen for ten. 'Uthman said: I have had a better offer. The merchants said: O Abu 'Amr, there are no merchants in Madinah other than us. Who has given you a better offer? He said: Allah, may He be blessed and exalted, has given me a better offer, ten for every dirham. Can you offer me more? They said: No, by Allah. He said: I call upon Allah to bear witness that I am giving this food as charity for the poor Muslims.

Ibn 'Abbas said: Last night I saw the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) in my dream. He was riding a black and white mule, wearing a suit of light; on his feet were shoes of light, in his hand was a staff of light, and he was hastening. I said: 0 Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him), I am longing to see you and hear you speak. Where are you hastening to? He said: "O Ibn 'Abbas, 'Uthman has given charity, and Allah has accepted it from him and given him a bride in Paradise, and I have been invited to the wedding."

Source: The biography of Uthman ibn Affan by Dr.Muhammad As-Sallabi/Translated by Nasir Khattab, Source originally taken from al-Riqqah wa'l-Buka', p. 190

No comments: