06 November 2010

Good news for reciters of Holy Quran

Shaikh Salim Bin 'Isa once visited Hamza Bin Al-Habib Al-Zayyat, God bless his soul, who had memorized the Holy Qur'an and read it with great devotion, seeking God's pleasure, and saw him crying and rubbing his cheeks with dust. He exclaimed: "I call upon God's protection for you. 0 Hamza, what is this crying?" Hamza replied: "Last night, I saw in a dream that the Day of Resurrection took place. The readers of the Qur'an were called in to stand before God Almighty, and I was among them. I then heard an amiable voice saying: 'Only those who lived by the Qur'an should enter.' I was in shock, so I began to withdraw. A voice called my name: 'Where are you going to, 0 Hamza Bin Al-Zayyat?' I cried out: 'At thy command, 0 caller to my Lord.' An angel then said to me: 'Say:At Thy command 0 my Lord,At Thy command.' So I repeated what the angel told me to say.I was then led into an abode where I heard the voices of Qur'an readers. I stood there shaking. I then heard a voice saying to me: 'Be at peace. Rise there and read.' I turned my face to the direction of the voice and saw a pulpit made from white pearls. One step is made from red sapphire, and another is made from green chrysolite. Then I was told: 'Rise and read.' So I did, and I read Al-An'am chapter, not knowing before whom I am reading. When I reached verse sixty-one, reading: 'And He is the irresistible Lord,Who watches from above over His creation... ' (Qur'an 6:61), the voice then said: '0 Hamza, Am I not the irresistible Lord, Who watches from above over His creation?' I said: 'Indeed. Thou speaks the truth.' Then I read Al-A'raf chapter to its last verse, which says: 'Those who are near to their Lord, do not disdain to worship Him. They celebrate His praises, and bow down in prostration before Him.' (Qur'an 7:206). As I intended to prostrate before my Lord, my Lord said: 'Sufficient is the reading. Do not prostrate here.' He continued: '0 Hamza, who taught you how to read this?' I replied: 'Sulaiman.' He said: 'True. Who taught Sulaiman?' I replied: 'Yahya.' He said: 'True. Who taught Yahya?' I replied: 'Abi Abdu-Rahman.' He said: 'True. Who taught Abi Abdu-Rahman?' I replied: 'Ali Bin Abi Talib, the cousin of Thy Prophet( Peace be upon him).' He said: 'Ali spoke the truth. Who taught Ali?' I replied: 'Thy Prophet, upon whom be peace.' He said: 'My Prophet spoke the truth. Who taught My Prophet( Peace be upon him)?' I replied: 'Gibreel, upon whom be peace.' He continued: 'And Who taught Gibreel?' I remained silent. He said: '0 Hamza, say You.' I replied: 'Lord, I cannot say that!' He again said: 'Say You.' I said: 'You.'He said: 'You spoke the truth 0 Hamza. I swear by the Qur'an, I shall honor its readers and particularly those who lived by it and acted with it. 0 Hamza, the Qur'an is My Word, and I love no one better than the people of the Qur'an. 0 Hamza, come nearer.' So I did, and my Lord anointed me with a musky ambergris. Then He added: 0 Hamza. This is not only for you. I did the same to your companions who are higher than you and to those who are lower than you, as well as to those who read the Qur'an like you and who seek no reward except Me. What I have reserved for you is still greater than this. So tell your friends about Me and about My love for the people of the Qur'an, for they are the chosen and elite. 0 Hamza, I swear by My Glory and Majesty, I shall never punish a tongue that recited the Qur'an, nor a heart that understood it, nor an ear that heard it, nor an eye that looked at it.' I said: 'Glory be to Thee, 0 my Lord.' God Almighty added: 'Who are the people ofthe Qur'an?' I said: 'Those who memorize it, my Lord?' He said: 'Indeed. Such people. I am on their side until they meet with Me on the Day of Judgement. When they come before Me, I shall raise them a station for each verse they learned.''' Hamza, God be pleased with him continued: "Thus, would you blame me if I cry and rub my cheeks with dust?"

* Extracted from the book 'IBN SEERIN'S DICTIONARY OF DREAMS' By Mohamed M. Al- Akili

No comments: