22 November 2010

Some inspirational narrations regarding Jihad

Anas narrates:
My uncle Anas bin An-Nadr was absent from the Battle of Badr. He said, "O Allah's Apostle! I was absent from the first battle you fought against the pagans.(By Allah) if Allah gives me a chance to fight the pagans, no doubt. Allah will see how (bravely) I will fight." On the day of Uhud when the Muslims turned their backs and fled, he said, "O Allah! I apologize to You for what these (i.e. his companions) have done, and I denounce what these (i.e. the pagans) have done." Then he advanced and Sad bin Muadh met him. He said "O Sad bin Muadh ! By the Lord of An-Nadr, Paradise! I am smelling its aroma coming from before (the mountain of) Uhud," Later on Sad said, "O Allah's Apostle! I cannot achieve or do what he (i.e. Anas bin An-Nadr) did. We found more than eighty wounds by swords and arrows on his body. We found him dead and his body was mutilated so badly that none except his sister could recognize him by his fingers."
(Bukhari/Book 4/ Volume 52 / Hadith 61)

'Aisha narrates:
When Allah's Apostle returned on the day (of the battle) of Al-Khandaq (i.e. Trench), he put down his arms and took a bath. Then Gabriel whose head was covered with dust, came to him saying, "You have put down your arms! By Allah, I have not put down my arms yet." Allah's Apostle said, "Where (to go now)?" Gabriel said, "This way," pointing towards the tribe of Bani Quraiza. So Allah's Apostle went out towards them.
(Bukhari / Book 4 / Volume 52 / Hadith 68)

This tradition has been narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Qais. He heard it from his father who, while facing the enemy, reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords. A man in a shabby condition got up and said; Abu Musa, did you hear the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say this? He said: Yes. (The narrator said): He returned to his friends and said: I greet you (a farewell greeting). Then he broke the sheath of his sword, threw it away, advanced with his (naked) sword towards the enemy and fought (them) with it until he was slain.
(Muslim / Book 20 / Hadith 4681)

It has been reported on the authority of Jabir that a man said: Messenger of Allah, where shall I be if I am killed? He replied: In Paradise. The man threw away the dates he had in his hand and fought until he was killed (i. e. he did not wait until he could finish the dates).
(Muslim / Book 20 / Hadith 4678)

The polytheists (now) advanced (towards us), and the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said. Get up to enter Paradise which is equal in width to the heavens and the earth. 'Umair b. al- Humam al-Ansari said: Messenger of Allah, is Paradise equal in extent to the heavens and the earth? He said: Yes. 'Umair said: My goodness! The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) asked him: What prompted you to utter these words (i. e. my goodness! ')? He said: Messenger of Allah, nothing but the desire that I be among its residents. He said: Thou art (surely) amona its residents. He took out dates from his bag and began to eat them. Then he said: If I were to live until I have eaten all these dates of mine, it would be a long life. (The narrator said): He threw away all the dates he had with him. Then he fought the enemies until he was killed.
(Muslim / Book 20 / Hadith 4680)

Khalid bin al Waleed (ra) said: “That I were to marry a beautiful woman whom I love, or that I were given the good news of having a newborn son, it is less beloved and dear to my heart then to be, in a cold icy night, in an army waiting to meet the enemy the next morning. I advise you to go on Jihad”
(Ibn al Mubarak)

Zaid bin Thabit said: “On the day of Uhud the Messenger of Allah sent me to look for Saad bin al Rabee and if I find him to deliver the salaams of the Messenger of Allah to him. I found him among the bodies of the dead pronouncing his last moments with around seventy injuries in his body. I told him: “The Messenger of Allah delivers his salaams to you.” He said: “salaams to the Messenger of Allah and salaams to you. Tell the Messenger of Allah that I am now smelling the scent of Paradise, and tell my people the Ansar that you have no excuse if the Messenger of Allah is harmed while there is still an eye blinking among you.” After that he died.”
(Al Bayhaqi in al Dala’el and al Hakim)

Malik bin Dinar said: “During the battle of the Zawiyah Abdullah bin Ghalib said: “I am seeing something I cannot holdback from! Let’s go to Paradise!” He then broke the sheath of his sword and fought until he was killed. When he was buried, his grave would give off the smell of Musk. I went myself to his grave and picked up some of its dirt and smelled musk emanating from it!”
(al Bayhaqi)

Shaddad bin al Haad said that a Bedouin came to the Messenger of Allah . He believed in him and followed him. When it was the Battle of the Trench the Messenger of Allah was dividing the booties of war between the companions. So he gave him his portion. The Bedouin said: “What is this?” They said: “The Messenger of Allah sent this to you” So he went to the Messenger of Allah and said: “What is this?” The Messenger of Allah said: “This is your share of the booties,” He said: “That’s not why I followed you. But I followed you in order that I be shot at right here - and he pointed to his throat – with an arrow so I can die and enter into Paradise! The Messenger of Allah said: “If you are truthful with Allah, Allah will be truthful with you.” A little later they went to fight. The Bedouin was carried back to the Messenger of Allah with an arrow injury in his throat. The Messenger of Allah asked if it was him, they said: “Yes.” He said: “He was truthful with Allah and Allah was truthful to him.” Then the Messenger of Allah said: “O Allah this servant of yours made Hijrah for your sake and then died as a Martyr. I am a witness over that.”
(Abdul Razaq and Nasa’i)

No comments: