27 September 2011

The supplication of 'Abdullah bin Jahash

Sa'd bin Abu Waqas (Radiyallahu anhu) relates a memorable incident from the life of 'Abdullah bin Jahash (Radiyallahu anhu).

"When the battle of Uhud was about to take place, 'Abdullah bin Jahash took me aside and asked me if I would not like to offer supplications to Allah. I answered that of course I would like to do so and prayed thus:

"O Allah Lord of the worlds! When I enter the battlefield let me come face to face with an enemy who is great and furious warrior. Let me engage with him a hand to hand fight and give me control over him until I finally overpower him completely. Then I should kill him and take away all his belongings."

Abdullah bin Jahash said " Ameen" after I completed my prayer.

Then Abdullah bin Jahash offered supplications to Allah:

"O Allah! Please give me the ability to fight against an enemy who is a furious, brave and experienced warrior. I should fight only to gain your pleasure and blessings. Then he should succeed in overpowering me and cut off my nose and ears. When I come into Your presence on the day of Judgement You should ask me: 'Abdullah why were your ears and nose cut off? Then I should answer you thus, 'For your sake O Lord'

The supplication of 'Abdullah bin Jahash was much better than mine, and Allah accepted it. In the evening I saw  that he had been killed and the enemy had strung his ears and nose on a string. He achieved the honorable status of a martyr like his maternal uncle, Hamzah.""

Source: Commanders of the Muslim Army

No comments: