23 January 2012

Some of the sayings of Abu Darda regarding life and death

Abu Darda  Rahimahullah said: “He who remembers death often, then his delight becomes less and his enviousness (of others) diminishes”.

Abu darda on his final moments said “Let man work for a demise like mine! Let man work for an hour like this! Let man work for a day like this” and he wept. His wife asked him, “do you weep even though you have accompanied the messenger of Allah?  He said ”Why should I not weep, when I do not know which of my sins will bring my destruction”

Abu Darda said “when you remember the dead, consider yourself one of them”

Abu Darda said “Should I tell you about the day I will become poor? It is the day when I am lowred in my grave”

Abu Darda' said: "Before Islam I used to be a merchant, and after the advent of Islam I was busy with commerce and worship, but it was so difficult for me to combine the two, that I renounced commerce and turned towards worship."

Abu Darda', said: "Everyone has an imperfection of knowledge and wisdom, if his wealth increases, he becomes so happy though day and night are working hard on destroying his life-span. So what is good of a wealth that increases and a life-span that decreases?"

Abu Darda' said: "Had it not been for three things, I would have preferred to be under the earth:
1- Brothers and friends visiting me and choosing fruitful speech.
2- To cover my face with dust in prostration to Allah.
3- To go out for Allah's Sake."

Abu Darda' said: "I love poverty so as to be modest before my Rabb, I love death because I am longing to see the All-Mighty Allah and I love sickness so as to expiate my sins."

Umm Darda said that when a righteous man died, Abu Darda used to say "congratulation. I wish I was in your place". When Umm Darda asked him about it he said, "Do you not know that one starts the day while a believer and ends it while a hypocrite, thus, being rid of his faith while he is unaware? This is why I congratulate that dead man (for dying while righteous) more than I wish for him to stay alive to pray and fast"

Source: The life of this world is a transient shade/ Silent moments by Abdul Malik al Qasim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its like you learn my mind! You seem to grasp so much
about this, like you wrote the e book in it or
something. I believe that you just could do with a few percent to drive the message house a
bit, but other than that, that is fantastic blog. A great read.
I will certainly be back.